Sunday, September 10, 2006

Where's Osama?

Five years ago, on an idyllic late summer day turned surreal and so tragic, I can remember my fear that those who attacked us just a few miles away would take everything I hold dear as an American. The attack on our native soil, the death of thousands of innocent people who were just trying to earn a living ... what would the then-unknown murderers deny us, just because of where we happened to be born? What would we have to do to protect our rights, our freedom?

As an American, I have always treasured my right to think what I want, to say what I want, and to associate with those I want to. Though it's often painful and a bit scary, I've always respected the right of others to speak their minds, however unpopular their opinions. It's part of the equation. With the right to free speech comes the responsibility to let others say what they want. Perhaps to disagree, but always to let them speak.

Patriotism isn't blind allegiance. It's knowing what's right and good about one's country, and having the courage and strength to speak up to protect it, no matter the assailant. That was both the fear and the rage that burned in me that day: rage against the enemy and fear that I would have to channel it into action.

What I never expected on that September day was that my own government would be the biggest threat to our liberties. I never expected to be told that if I disagreed with the president, I was an enemy of the state ("If you're not with us, you're with the terrorists."). I never expected that our fear would be cynically co-opted to divert our attention from the real enemy to settle a personal grudge against a despot who had nothing to do with the attack.

The hijackers hated America enough to kill themselves in the attack. Now even more people hate America with a passion, and we brought it on ourselves. What good does it do?

More people have died in Iraq in the past three and a half years than did on that September day, and it's only put us in greater danger. When will it stop?

Meanwhile the real enemy is out there. And perhaps he wraps himself in the American flag.

Where's Osama, Mr. Bush, and why don't you care?

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Is he on Catster?

Doohdle said...

You should know. You're Homeland Security.

Anyone wanna sign the petition to get Al Gore to run for prez in 2008?

Tracy said...

I signed it and sent it to you MOL

Tracy said...

Post it on your blog D